Are your Aptitudes and Personality suitable for becoming a good Dentist?
To know this, take the MyTalentTM Assessment.Take MyTalentTM Assessment
Courses and Eligibility
Bachelor's degree in Dental Science (BDS), 10+2 with physics, chemistry and biology and clear the pre-medical entrance examination of states/boards/institutions.
To be a specialist one needs to have a Master's in Dental Science (MDS).
Other Courses in Dentistry are:
- Dental Hygienist Certificate Course
- Dental Mechanic Certificate Course
- Diploma Course In Dental Assistance
The Bachelor of Dental Science (BDS) degree programme is a five-year course that is divided into four parts each of one years’ duration followed by a year of internship. The Dental Council of India registers those who have completed the BDS to practice dentistry. After completion of this degree, many graduates choose to join a government hospital to get hands-on experience.
A BDS degree alone is not considered enough to succeed in this profession so one has to go for a Master of Dental Science (MDS) degree. One should keep participating in education programmes based on the specialisation as, Continuous education is an integral and an essential part of this profile.
Upgrading your knowledge is required, even in order to renew your license to practice on an annual basis. It's is also important to be aware of the developments in the medical field and pharmaceuticals.
Admission to graduate courses in dentistry is through a general, nationwide competitive examination. The All India Pre-Medical/Pre-Dental Entrance Exam conducted by the CBSE is common for both the MBBS and the Bachelor of Dental Sciences (BDS). The allocation of institutions is based on merit. Other than the centrally run medical institutions there is at least one dental college in most states, where admission is governed by domiciliary status. A merit waiting list up to a number of 1 to 2000 is made on the base of marks obtained in the Exam. The candidates are assigned their merit list and choice. There are also private colleges, which under the management quota admit students on an all India basis. But to be eligible for practice, one must ensure that the Dental Council of India approves the course chosen.
The course fees for an MDS degree ranges from Rs 1 to Rs 3 lakhs per annum and the private institutions under management quota may charge anywhere between Rs 5 lakhs to Rs 10 lakhs.
Where To Study
- AIIMS, New Delhi
- Maulana Azad Institute of Dental Sciences, New Delhi
- Army College Of Dental Sciences, Mercury Lines, Secunderabad, Andhra Pradesh, (Andhra Pradesh)
- Government Dental College & Hospital, Afzalgunj, Hyderabad
- KGMC, Lucknow
- R Ahmed Dental College, Kolkata
- Government Dental College, Mumbai
- Dental College, Dharwad, Karnataka
- College of Dental Sciences, Manipal
- GDC, Trivandrum
- Goa Dental College & Hospital, P.O. Santa Cruz, Bambolim Goa
- S.C.B.Medical College, Cuttack, Orissa
- College of Dentistry, Indore
- Guwahati Medical College, Guwahati
- Dental College, Medical Campus, Rohtak
- Maharshi Dayanand University Medical College, Rohtak
- S.M.S.Medical College, Jaipur
- Dr.R.Ahmed Dental College and Hospital, Kolkata
- Christian Medical College, Brown Road, Ludhiana
- Guru Nanak Dev Dental College & Research Institute, Sunam, Punjab
- The Buddhist Mission Dental College & Hospital, Patna, Bihar
- Patna Dental College & Hospital, Agamkuan, Patna
- Government Dental College And Hospital, Ahmedabad
- Govt. Dental College, Jamnagar
- Rajah Muthiah Dental College & Hospital Annamalai Nagar
- Meenakshi Ammal Dental College & Hospital, Chennai
- Modern Dental College & Research Centre Nainod, Gandhi Nagar, Airport Road, Indore (M.P.)
- Govt. Dental College & Hospital Near T.B. Hospital Subhash Nagar, Jaipur
- Mahatama Gandhi National Institute of Medical Sciences RIICO Institutional Area, Sitapura, Jaipur
Government Dental Colleges in Kerala
Govt. Dental College, Alappuzha ( 50 seats)
Govt. Dental College, Kozhikode ( 50 seats)
Govt. Dental College, Kottayam ( 40 seats)
Govt. Dental College, Thrissur ( 50 seats)
Govt. Dental College, Thiruvananthapuram ( 50 seats)