Cosmetologist (Beauty/Wellness Practitioner)
Are your Aptitudes and Personality suitable for becoming a good Cosmetologist (Beauty/Wellness Practitioner)?
To know this, take the MyTalentTM Assessment.Take MyTalentTM Assessment
Courses and Eligibility
This is essentially a Vocation and there are quite a few courses available (both in organized and unorganized sectors). There are specialized courses like aroma therapy or hair styling and one can choose according to one’s interest. There are many vocational institutes in India that are providing courses on cosmetology.
Courses at certificate, diploma and degree level are available.
An individual does not require to be highly qualified to take up this profession. Any person can learn cosmetology after he is adult. An individual with 10+2 can get enrolled in practical training of cosmetology.
A number of courses are available on cosmetology. Students can get enrolled in a certificate course on cosmetology, make-up, hair diploma, advanced paramedical aesthetic course, etc. The fees start from Rs 5000 and can go up to Rs. 3 lakhs or more. The fees would depend on the institute and the level of the course. The course fee generally include theory classes as well as training with practical exposure.
Top colleges to study Cosmetology
- Anand SPA Institute (adjudged as SPA academy of the year 2011) offers Ayurveda foundation Intensive program of 4 weeks and Diploma in Ayurvedic spa therapies, duration 12 weeks.
- Nagpur University offers a B.Tech. in Cosmetic Technology, perhaps the only one of its kind.
- National & Regional Vocational Training Institutes for Women (Ministry of Labour, Govt. of India) in Delhi, Noida, Allahabad, Mumbai, Kolkata, Vadodra, Hissar, Indore, Trivandrum, Tura.
- DAV College sector 10 Chandigarh ( NAAC A Grade) offers Diploma in Cosmetology and Beauty Care. Admission open for all streams.
- MCM Dav College Chandigarh ( NAAC A Grade) Offers PG Diploma in Cosmetology and Beauty Care ( 1 year) There are 25 seats.
- Shahnaz Husain's Woman's World, International Institute of Beauty (affiliated to ITEC, UK) M-106, Greater Kailash - 1, New Delhi - 110 048 Offers Diploma in personal Grooming. The institute has franchise training centres in all large cities.
- Men's World International Institute of Cosmetic Therapy and Hair Design for Men B-23, Greater Kailash - 1, New Delhi - 110 048
- Smiles, A-160, Azad Nagar, Vera Desai Road, Andheri West, Mumbai (Course in make-up and professional training/hairdressing)
- Habib's Hair Academy M-3, South Extension II, New Delhi - 110 049 (Courses in make-up and hairstyle)
- Maharani Bagh Polytechnic for Women New Delhi - 110 065 (Course in beauty therapy)
- South Delhi Polytechnic for Women South Extension - I, New Delhi - 110 049 (Course in beauty therapy and hair dressing)
- Delhi Institute of Management and Services A-3, Akashdeep, New Delhi (Courses in beauty therapy and saloon management).
- Pearl Academy of Fashion, New Delhi offers a Diploma in Fashion Media Make-up (1-yr). In association with London College of Fashion, UK.
- VLCC Institute offers Diploma in Beauty Culture & Hair Design, Fitness & Personal Training (8-mth); Diploma in Dietetics, Health & Nutrition (1 yr+ 3mth); Short-term Basic /Advance courses in Makeup, Hair Designing, and Beauty Culture.
- Slyvie's Hair and Beauty Academy, New Delhi.