Are your Aptitudes and Personality suitable for becoming a good Architect?
To know this, take the MyTalentTM Assessment.Take MyTalentTM Assessment
Pay & Remuneration
Architecture is a professional course. Just like a C.A. or a doctor, one may choose to work as am employee or start ones' own practice. The initial or starting level earnings of an architect can be approximately Rs 2.5 lakh per-annum. Ofcourse the earnings would vary depending on the city and your area of specialisation. For example in New Delhi, a B.Arch graduate employed in an architectural firm may get Rs 2.5 to 3 lakhs a year beginning, while employment in a real estate company may fetch a salary of Rs 5-6 lakhs to begin with. However the same architect working in the architectural firm after a few years of experience may start his own practice and start making very good money.
A qualified architect may either work with an architectural firm or begin his/her own firm. He/she also has the option of being employed by various government organizations such as Public Works Department, the Archaeological Department, Ministry of Defense, National Building Organization, Town and Country Planning Organization, National Institute of Urban Affairs, Departments of Railways, Post and Telegraphs, Public Sector Undertakings, Housing and Urban Development Corporation, National Building Construction Corporation Ltd., etc. While some other organizations or bodies like State Departments, Housing Boards, Local Bodies for construction works, Builders, Architecture Firms, Consultants, etc. also hire architects.
Charles Correa: An internationally acclaimed Indian architect who was behind the Mahatma Gandhi Memorial Museum at the Sabarmati Ashram in Ahmedabad, Kanchanjunga Apartment tower in Mumbai, the Jawahar Kala Kendra in Jaipur, the planning of Navi Mumbai, MIT'S Brain and Cognitive Sciences Centre in Boston.
Hafeez Contractor: Vastu building at Worli Seaface. Has also designed The Imperial I and II, the tallest buildings in India.
Anant D. Raje: His acclaimed works include the Executive Management Centre at the IIM Ahmedabad, Forest Management Institute in Bhopal, India and the Institute of Statistics in New Delhi.
A Day In Life
This is a general look at how an architect would function when managing a project:
- Get a detailed brief from the client. Understand the exact purpose of the building and its function, where it will be built, estimate of the number of people that will be using it and other specific requirements that the client may have.
- Work on a detailed plan of the structure and work with in-house (or outsourced) team on graphic design, preparation of a miniature model, estimating and costing, Make detailed timelines based on client's requirement.
- Present a detailed plan on the structure to the client along with a proposed budget.
- Get approvals for the same after incorporating changes if any.
- Appoint a suitable construction company.
- Begin work on the project by coordinating with the appointed construction company, local authorities (such as the Municipality) where necessary. Ensure safety measures at all stages.
- Supervise every stage of construction. Keep track of timelines at each stage.
- Towards the end of the construction, involve and coordinate with electrical specialists, local water works, electricity suppliers, carpenters, painters, glassware providers, utilities and facilities providers, interior decorators, garden and landscape specialists and a whole list of people who will help the architect to bring the project to its completion.
If you are not too keen on pursuing architecture as a career, then you can look into various other career options available on the MapMyTalent career list page. Before finalizing on your career, be sure to take the Aptitude Test and the Personality Test available at MapMyTalent to know what will be the right career path for you with the help of best career guidance and career advice from expert career counselors.
Some of the other careers that you may like to read up on are listed below -