Are your Aptitudes and Personality suitable for becoming a good Telecommunications Engineer?
To know this, take the MyTalentTM Assessment.Take MyTalentTM Assessment
Courses & Eligibility
Telecom Engineering is offered at graduate level as well as post graduate level. Civil engineers and computer engineers also enter this profession after suitable post graduation. The courses of telecommunication train students in how to design, troubleshoot, install and network. It puts special prominence on both software and hardware as well as on wireless communication, mobile telephony, GSM architecture, internet protocol media system, CDMA, GPRS network, internet protocol, designing of optical networks, understanding and designing data network, etc. These programs typically include technical, management, and business studies because designing telecommunications systems requires understanding all aspects of the design process. Telecom Engineers are often involved in designing projects from conception to completion.
Bachelor of Engineering (BE)/ Bachelor of Technology (BTech): The eligibility is class 12th in with physics, chemistry and maths as the main subjects and Entrance Exam.
Masters in Engineering( ME) or Masters in Technology M.Tech: Eligibility is BE, B Tech and entrance Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) exam. The marks scored in this exam are valid in most colleges.
For those who wish to study further, a Ph.D. in engineering can be pursued.
- JEE MAIN 2013 Exam - Joint Engineering Entrance Exam (2013): for NITs, IIITs, DTU, Delhi and other centrally funded institutions (CFTIs).
- Kerala Engineering Entrance Exam - KEAM 2013
- Karnataka Engineering Entrance exam - Karnataka CET
- Maharashtra Engineering Entrance Exam - MHT-CET
- West Bengal Engineering Entrance Exam - WBJEE
- Uttar Pradesh Engineering Entrance Exam - UPTU SEE
JEE MAIN 2013 Exam: The JEE (Main) (Paper I of earlier AIEEE) for B.E./B.Tech will be held in two modes, viz. offline and online (CBT).
The examination (Paper II of earlier AIEEE) for admissions to B.Arch/B.Planning courses at NITs, IIITs, DTU, Delhi and other CFTIs will be held in offline mode only.
The merit list for admission to NITs, IIITs, DTU, Delhi and other CFTIs will be prepared by giving 40% weightage (suitably normalized) to class XII (or equivalent examination) or other qualifying examination marks and 60% to the performance in JEE (Main) examination.
The JEE (Main)-2013 (Paper I of earlier AIEEE) will have one objective type question paper.
The paper will consist of Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics. The duration of the paper will be 3 (Three) Hours.
The Paper II for admissions to B.Arch/B.Planning courses at NITs, IIITs, DTU, Delhi and other CFTIs will have one Question Paper consisting of Mathematics, Aptitude Test and Drawing Test as per past practice of AIEEE. The duration of the paper will be 3 (Three) Hours.
Only 1,50,000 of the top rankers in JEE (Main), which includes students from all categories (GE, OBC (NCL), SC and ST) will be eligible to appear in JEE (Advanced)-2013 (hitherto known as IIT-JEE) for admission to IITs, IIT BHU and ISM Dhanbad.
Source : CBSE
The fee for four years course in any branches of Engineering from the IITs is around Rs.2 lakhs. Since telecom engineering course is available in most colleges as a undergraduate program, an aspirant will have to spend around Rs. 2 lakhs more for the specialization. The government funded colleges offer scholarships, fee waiver and loans in case the student makes to the merit list, but is unable to fund his education. These colleges also have the concept of a ‘research associate’ where in the students can collaborate with a professor on an ongoing research and earn a monthly stipend.
Top colleges to study Telecommunications Engineering
In India there are many Universities and colleges that offer B Tech / B E and M Tech courses. Some of the top colleges are:
- Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi
- Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur
- Indian Institute of Technology, Madras
- Indian Institute of Technology, Guwahati
- Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee
- Institute of Technology, Benaras Hindu University, Benaras.
- Institute of Technology, Ropar
- Indian Institute of Technology, Gandhi Nagar
- Indian Institute of Technology, Bhubaneshwar
- Indian Institute of Technology, Hyderabad
- Indian Institute of Technology, Patna
- Indian Institute of Technology, Mandi
- Institute of Technology,Indore
- Institute of Technology, Rajsthan, Mentored by IIT Kanpur Temporarily at IIT Kanpur
Then there are 30 NIT's located in various parts of the country that offer B Tech . M Tech and MCA programs.
1. NIT Warangal
2. NIT Tiruchirappalli
3. MANIT Bhopal
4. MNIT Jaipur
5. MNNIT Allahabad
6. NIT Jamshedpur
7. SVNIT Surat
8. VNIT Nagpur
9. NIT Kurukshetra
10. NIT Calicut
11. Dr. B. R. Ambedkar National Institute of Technology Jalandhar
12. NIT Rourkela
13. NIT Surathkal
14. NIT Patna
15. NIT Raipur
16. NIT Srinagar
17. NIT Hamirpur
18. NIT Delhi
19. NIT Arunachal Pradesh
20. NIT Agartala
21. NIT Durgapur
22. NIT Goa
23. NIT Puducherry
24. NIT Manipur
25. NIT Meghalaya
26. NIT Mizoram
27. NIT Nagaland
28. NIT Sikkim
29. NIT Silchar
30. NIT Uttarakhand
Some other reputed colleges are
- University Institute of Engineering and Technology, South campus, Panjab University Chandigarh
- Delhi Technological University, New Delhi (Formerly Delhi College of Engineering)
- Netaji Subhas Institute of Technology, Delhi
- Indira Gandhi Delhi Technical University for women, New Delhi .