Are your Aptitudes and Personality suitable for becoming a good School Teacher?
To know this, take the MyTalentTM Assessment.Take MyTalentTM Assessment
Courses & Eligibility
It is rightly said that we cannot hold a torch to light another's path without brightening our own. So before teaching one needs to learn, and also know and understand how to become a school teacher. There are various teacher training courses available at many levels like Diploma, Degree and Post Graduate level. Some specialised courses for teaching in special schools are also available. Some of the courses in teacher training that are available are as follows:
- Nursery Teacher Training (NTT)
- Diploma in Early Childhood Care and Education (ECCE).
- Diploma in Education (D.Ed.)
- Elementary Teacher Training (ETT)
- Bachelor of Education (B.Ed.), B.Ed. (Special Education),
- Bachelor of Elementary Education (B.El.Ed.).
- Integrate courses like BA B.Ed. (integrated), B.Sc. B.Ed. (integrated).
- Master of Education (M.Ed.), M.Ed. (Special Education), M.Ed. (Educational Technology), M.Ed. (Guidance & Counseling).
- M.A. (Adult Education),
- MBA - Educational Management; can help a candidate to work in a specialized field/organization.
- International Diploma in Guidance & Counseling (NCERT, New Delhi), International Diploma in Educational Planning and Administration (NUEPA, New Delhi).
Some institutes and universities offer courses in the distance education mode also like IGNOU offers B.Ed and B.Ed. - special education, M.Ed. Certificate in Guidance, Diploma in Higher Education, M.A. (Distance Education), Post-graduate Diploma in Distance Education, Master of Education
To pursue inegrated B Sc B Ed and B Sc Ed course offered by Regional Institute of Education Ajmer, Bhopal, Bhubaneshwar, Mysore one has to clear the CEE.
In order to pursue B.Ed course one needs to be a graduate from a recognised college or university with atleast 50% marks and must clear the common entry test (CET).
To pursue M.Ed. one must have a Bachelors degree in education and selection is based purely on merit basis. For other diploma courses in teaching one must have completed 10 + 2 with aggregate 50% marks.
The cost of such courses varies from Rs.10,000/- to 50,000. While recently, the government has announced a fee structure for all teacher education and physical education courses. An accredited Bachelor of Education (B. Ed.) course will cost Rs.46,500, a Masters in Education (M. Ed.) Rs. 47,500 and a Diploma in Teacher Education (D. TEd.) will cost Rs.23,000.
Top colleges for B Ed
- University Of Delhi, Dept. Of Education, Delhi offers B Ed and M Ed courses.
- IGNOU, New Delhi offers Diploma in Early Childhood Care and Education.
- Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi offers degrees in specialisations like special education, nursery education and art education.
- R. Memorial Nursery Teachers Training Institute, Nilothi Morh, Delhi 110041
- Lady Irwin College, Sikandara Road, Near I.T.O, Delhi
- Women's Training Institute (YWCA of Delhi), Bangla Sahib Lane, New Delhi 110001
- Govt. College Of Education, Sector 20-D Chandigarh 160020
- State Institute of Education, Sector 32-C, P.O. Sec-47, Chandigarh 160047
- Annamalai College Of Education, Tuticorin 628003
- Annamalai University, Department of Education, Annamalai Nagar 628002
- Bharathiar University, Maruthamalai Road, Coimbatore 641046
- Berhampur Govt. Primary Teachers Training Institute, PO. Berhampur, Murchdabad Distt. 742101
- Kalimpong Govt. Primary Teachers Training Institute, PO. Kalimpong, Darjeeling Dt. 734301
- NIMH Regional Training Center, NIOH campus, Bonhooghly, B.T. Road, Kolkatta 700090
- Amravati University, Tapowan Road Camp, Amravati 444602
- Arya Vidya Mandir Institute Of Education, Plot No. 287, J.V.P.D. Scheme, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400049
- Aligarh Muslim University, Department OF Education, Aligarh 202002
- Bareilly College, Department Of B.Ed., Bareilly 243001
- Banaras Hindu University, Faculty Of Education, Kamachana Campus, Varanasi 221005
- Buddha P.G College, Dept. Of Education, Kushinagar 274403
- Chhatrapati Shahu Ji Maharaj University, Kalyanpur, Kanpur 208024
- Chaudhary Charan Singh University, Meerut 250005
- K.J. Somaiya Comprehensive College of Education, Training and Research, Mumbai
- Bombay Teacher's Training College, Mumbai
- Andhra University, Visakhapatanam
- SNDT Womens University, Mumbai
- Government College of Education, Chandigarh
- St. Xaviers College of Education, Patna
- D.M.College of Teacher Education, Imphal
- Kirorimal College of Education, Bhiwani
- University of Punjab
- University of Pune
- Himachal Pradesh University, Department Of Education, Shimla
- University of Bombay
- A.G. Teachers College, Ahmedabad