Are your Aptitudes and Personality suitable for becoming a good Medical Surgeon?
To know this, take the MyTalentTM Assessment.Take MyTalentTM Assessment
Courses and Eligibility
A Medical surgeon is essentially a student of science. He therefore selects Science as his basic subject right from the preliminary education. However, his specialization begins from Higher Secondary stages where he needs to continue with Biology, Physics, and Chemistry. With good qualifying marks in 10+2, he is required to appear in Medical entrance tests. His performance in the entrance test makes him get the admission in the medical course.
Successful candidates get admission in the MBBS course which is the baisc course and is essential for both doctors of Medicine and Surgeons. The subject of specialization begins only after the budding doctors clear the MBBS course. These courses are regulated in the medical colleges which are affiliated to and recognized by the Medical Council of India. At present, there are about 250 Medical colleges all over India where the number of seats is stipulated every year.
The course of specialization begins only after the successful completion of MBBS. The next step is completed in the following phases:
Phase 1: Qualification for the PG entrance
Phase 2: Qualify for MS in Surgery
Phase 3: Training as a Senior Resident in any recognized hospital
Phase 4: Super-specialization- MCH
The successful completion of all these phases can see one qualified Medical Surgeon.
Where To Study
There are both government and private medical collegs in India that offer MBBS course; however not every collge offers a PG course in Surgery. Here are a few good colleges that offer masters degree in surgery.
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) New Delhi
- Armed Forces Medical College (AFMC) Pune
- Institute of Medical Sciences, Benaras Hindu University, Varanasi
- Christian Medical College, Vellore
- Jawaharlal Nehru Institute of Post-Medical Graduate Medical Education and Research, Pondicherry
- Post-Graduate Institute of Medical Education And Research, Chandigarh
- Sanjay Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Lucknow
- King Edward Memorial Hospital (KEM), Mumbai